White Chocolate Cinnamon Chick Pea Cookies — healthy and good for digestion, these cookies are just about as good as any other cookie recipe (or maybe even better!), especially when paired with a probiotic supplement.
- 1 1/4 cup chick peas (garbanzo beans), rinsed
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup almond or peanut butter
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon chips
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend all ingredients (except for cinnamon and white chocolate chips) in a food processor until it creates a dough-like mixture.
- Mix in chocolate and cinnamon chips.
- On a greased cookie sheet, place a spoonful of cookie dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 2087 Total Fat: 107g Saturated Fat: 41g Sodium: 2079mg Carbohydrates: 246g Sugar: 118g Protein: 59g
- Garbanzo beans (or chick peas) are a good source of prebiotics. Prebiotics are a “non-digestible food ingredient that promotes the growth and proliferation of “good” gut bacteria” (source) and can help enhance the effects of probiotics, which are contained in . . .
- Chocolate! Chocolate is considered to be a good source of probiotics, especially dark chocolate. What are probiotics? Basically, they are “good” bacteria that you want in your gut. More on this in a little bit. In this recipe, I used white chocolate chips, but feel free to use dark chocolate chunks. That would be delicious!
- Agave: In most of the chick pea cookies I looked at, most people used honey. However, I chose to use agave because, 1) it was all we had and 2) it’s high in fiber and is also a prebiotic.
- Oats have a wide variety of health benefits, including helping with cholesterol, are diabetes friendly, and they are great for the digestive systme. One cup of oats include 4 grams of fiber, which obviously is highly recommended for digestive help, and can also aid in heping GERD.
- Cinnamon aids in digestion, so I chose to use a little bit of cinnamon powder, as well as cinnamon chips (if you can’t find them in store, you can buy them here.)
- Coconut is rich in fiber and is thought to help with various digestive problems (note, for best benefits, use unsweetened)
- They are very good to take when taking antibiotics, because it helps restore the good bacteria that is being killed (one side effect of antibiotics is c. diff, which is horrible — Jack had it when he was little.)
- Some research shows it is being linked to helping with eczema in infants if taken by the mother while pregnant
- Can help regulate the digestive system by promoting digestive system balance
- Some studies suggest they can lower the risk of ear infections, strep throat, and colds. Perfect for staying healthy during the winter time.
- Forrest recently showed me some articles about probiotics aiding in weight loss. In a recent study, women who took probiotics lost 9.7 pounds on average, while those who didn’t lost just 5.7 pounds over 12 weeks.
- Eating foods rich in prebiotics can supercharge the benefits of probiotics
I can’t always afford to buy probiotic supplements, but when I do I look for the following:
- That the supplement has over 2.5 billion live probiotics, because a lot of microorganisms won’t survive the GI track. Having more good bacteria in the supplement will ensure better survival rates (I found varying statistics on the best number of probiotics, so I just took an average)
- That there are different strains of bacteria in it. Different bacteria is good for different reasons, so having more than on strain in your probiotic ensures that you are getting the most benefits
- Live and active cultures
- Displays potency at the time of expiration
- It doesn’t have an enteric coating
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com