When you first meet Forrest, you may not immediately notice that he’s a Southern boy. You see, he doesn’t have much of a Southern accent, unless he’s a) tired or b) around a bunch of other Southerners. But even then, it’s not super pronounced.
However, after you get to know Forrest, you’ll definitely know he’s from the South. And one of those traits is a love for grits. Me? I had never even heard of grits before I met Forrest! I was a little bit skeptical when he had me try them for the first time. And I soon found out, unless they are prepared correctly, they aren’t any good. At least, I don’t think so.
I asked on Facebook yesterday who had tried grits. Almost everyone that responded had indeed tried them, and loved them. I’m assuming most everyone else that didn’t respond…hadn’t eaten them. At our house, we have them on a weekly basis. But, we know that’s not probably the case with most people, and we want your first introduction to grits to be delicious. So today, we’re sharing a recipe that people who love grits, hate them, or have never even tried them, are sure to love.
These little grits muffins are full of sausage and bacon, egg, and, most importantly, grits. They are easy to put together, and they pack a whole lot of flavor in one small bite. We made them yesterday, and seriously, we couldn’t stop eating them! They are light and fluffy, and perfect for snacking on.
I think that these would be perfect for a brunch (Christmas, anyone?) or even as an appetizer for a party. They kind of reminded me of a sausage mcmuffin a little bit…only way more delicious. This recipe makes quite a few mini muffins, but if you feel like you would like larger ones, just use a larger muffin tin.
We’ve noticed that a lot of grocery stores are selling instant grits nowadays, which is awesome. However, you won’t want to use the kinds that come in the packets. We bought a package at Sprouts, and I think that most grocery stores will have them. Hopefully trying out this recipe will help introduce people to how yummy grits can be (and cure any bad experiences you may have had with them!)
Sausage Grits Muffins
- 1 Cup Grits not prepared
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Kraft Colby Jack and Monterrey Cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 6 Large Strips of Bacon
- 8 oz of Hot/Spicy Sausage crumbled
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees F.
- Cook bacon and sausage. Drain excess grease and set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add one cup of grits and cook for about 6 minutes.
- Add cheese and mix until it's completely melted.
- Add milk, eggs, pepper, salt, cooked bacon, and cooked sausage.
- Spray mini-muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Scoop mixture into each muffin pan, filling each spot about 3/4 full.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until a fork is inserted and comes out relatively cleanly.
- Let cool slightly before eating.
- Best when served with a creamy, white sauce.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com