Just a side note from Katie: We went to this restaurant, El Salvador, on our first date almost exactly four years ago! At the time, I wasn’t even sure if we were on a date. I thought it was fitting to share this meal on Valentine’s Day, since it’s inspired by the restaurant we first started our relationship at 🙂
- 2 ripe plantains
- 1 can of refried black beans
- 1 container of crema Mexicana/Mexican cream
- 1/4 cup of oil, I used blood orange olive oil
- 1. Peel the plantains. I ended up using a vegetable peeler. I used a mandolin slice the plantains lengthwise.
- 2. Heat up some oil to a medium-low heat. Sugar burns at lower temperature than most things, so don't overheat it.
- 3. The plantains should be done when they become somewhat transparent and crunchy
- 4. Mix a bit of the crema with the refried black beans to make it easier to dip.
- 5. Dip and enjoy.