In Provo there is a restaurant called El Salvador where I order fried plantains with an accompanying bean and cream dip. It was delicious, and it immediately became one of the best dishes I have ever had. It has been a little while since I’ve been back, so I don’t have a perfect memory of how it tasted. I am not an expert on the best way to cook plantains, make refried black beans, or make a delicious cream. However, when I made some basic versions and tried them out they were still very delicious. It might seem like a weird combination to some people, but it works, and it’s delicious.
Just a side note from Katie: We went to this restaurant, El Salvador, on our first date almost exactly four years ago! At the time, I wasn’t even sure if we were on a date. I thought it was fitting to share this meal on Valentine’s Day, since it’s inspired by the restaurant we first started our relationship at 🙂
Plantains with Black Beans and Cream
- 2 ripe plantains
- 1 can of refried black beans
- 1 container of crema Mexicana/Mexican cream
- 1/4 cup of oil I used blood orange olive oil
- 1. Peel the plantains. I ended up using a vegetable peeler. I used a mandolin slice the plantains lengthwise.
- 2. Heat up some oil to a medium-low heat. Sugar burns at lower temperature than most things, so don't overheat it.
- 3. The plantains should be done when they become somewhat transparent and crunchy
- 4. Mix a bit of the crema with the refried black beans to make it easier to dip.
- 5. Dip and enjoy.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com