This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ZiplocBackToSchool #CollectiveBias
Here are two tasty recipes that are perfect for back-to-school – a yummy and easy honey wheat bread recipe that is perfect for sandwiches, and a homemade butter recipe that you just make with a small container, heavy cream, and a little bit of salt. Both recipes are available under the bolded titles below.
In just a few short weeks, people of all ages will go back to school. Some kids will be having their first day of preschool, others will be heading back to elementary, middle, or high school, and others will be starting college. My brother is in the latter.
I’m so excited for him to start college, especially since he is going to the same college I graduated from. I know he’s going to have such a wonderful experience there, and although we will miss him so much here (I don’t even want to think about it), there’s are ways you grow as a person that require you to leave home.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups very warm water
- 4 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/4 - 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve the yeast with warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let it proof for about 10 minutes.
- Add honey, butter, salt, warm water and 3 cups of whole wheat flour. Mix with either an electric hand mixer or with a whisk, scrapping the sides.
- After all the flour is incorporated, add the remaining 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour and mix until all of it is added.
- Using a spoon, mix in the white flour 1/2 cup at a time. Only add more flour if it is too sticky and doesn't spring back when you press on it. It will be slightly sticky to the touch but not dry at all.
- Sprinkle flour onto a clean surface and turn the dough out on it. Knead into a rounded ball for about 10 minutes, adding flour to your hands if it starts to feel too sticky.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl (large enough for it to double in) and cover with a towel or plastic. Let rise until doubled - about 45 minutes.
- Once double, punch down, and then divide into two loaves. Place into greased bread pans and form into loaves, or place on a greased cookie sheet or silpat and form into desired shape. Cover and let rise another 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Once preheated, place uncooked loaves into the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn the temperature down to 350 F, and let cook another 10 minutes or so, or until the bread sounds hallow when tapped.
- Let cool.
The butter is really fun to make, and it’s a great activity for kids to do after school (especially if they are begging you for a slice of the freshly baked homemade bread). We did this a few times in elementary school, and at church. You just need small containers – such as these small Ziploc® brand containers with One Press Seal Containers – and all the ingredients above.
It takes about 10-15 minutes to make this butter, but it tastes great. The way we made it, it went through a couple of different stages. It was completely liquid, and then after about 10 minutes of shaking, it was solid! However, we shook it a little bit more, and it turned liquid again. This is normal! Just keep shaking until it becomes solid again. This took about 5-7 more minutes. There will likely be some liquid in the container after it becomes solid again – this is from the whey. Just pour this out, shake it again to ensure all the whey is gone, and then refrigerate.
We made cinnamon honey butter and garlic herbed butter out of some of the containers. This was really fun to do, and since you made it in a refrigerator-safe container, you don’t have to move it to another container, which makes for less mess!
We purchased all of our Ziploc® brand products at our local King Soopers, which is a Kroger Affiliate! Here are some great deals going on for Ziploc® brand products over the next few weeks:
- 7/20 to 8/16: $3.99 promo on:
- Ziploc® brand Storage bags with Easy Open Tabs Quart Value Pack 48ct
- Ziploc® brand Storage bags with Easy Open Tabs Gallon Value Pack 38ct
- Ziploc® brand Freezer bags with Easy Open Tabs Quart Value Pack 38ct
- Ziploc® brand Freezer bags with Easy Open Tabs Gallon Value Pack 28ct.
- 8/9 to 8/30: $0.50 off regular retail price on:
- Ziploc® brand Sandwich bags with Easy Open Tabs 40ct
- Ziploc® brand Sandwich bags with Easy Open Tabs 90ct
- Ziploc® brand Snack bags with Easy Open Tabs 90ct
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com