This Caramel Buttercream is easy and absolutely delicious!
This creamy caramel frosting recipe is perfect for topping spiced cakes, cupcakes, and really, just for eating by the spoonful!
For Oliver’s birthday, I decided to make him a spiced apple cake. I had seen that you can mix a cake mix with a can of pie filling, and that it would turn out nice and moist.
I was so pleased with how it turned out! I knew Oliver wouldn’t eat a ton of his smash cake (well, more that I wouldn’t let him eat a lot), so I didn’t care if it was a little bit less than healthy. It was so easy though!
As I was trying to decide on a frosting, it dawned on me that I should try and come up with a caramel buttercream recipe. I also decided to add some apple cider flavoring to make it more like a caramel apple.
Because let’s be real…life is just better with a little bit of caramel apple in it!
At first, I was planning to just use some kind of caramel coffee creamer, but then I came across this caramel extract, and I thought it would be fun to use that. To get the apple flavor, I just used 1/2 a package of apple cider mix!
Jack helped me make it, and oh man, we both loved it. When I first tested it, it tasted like everything I’d hoped it would be.
This is definitely my new favorite frosting recipe. Just make sure you have enough powdered sugar – we almost didn’t!
Caramel Frosting Recipe
Caramel Buttercream Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons caramel extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 package apple cider mix optional
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- Cream butter until smooth in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Slowly add in the milk, caramel extract, and salt.
- Add powdered sugar in, one cup at a time, until you reached desired consistency.
- Mix in apple cider mix.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com