Rote is primarily flavored by cardamom. Since it is more expensive than the average spice I’m going to share a little information about it for you to make it seem worth making the investment. Cardamom is likely one of those spices that Christopher Columbus sailed around the world trying to find. It hasn’t become as popular in the West as cinnamon and other spices to which cardamom could be compared. Like cinnamon, a little cardamom goes a long way. For more information about cardamom you can visit here.
There are a number of delicious dishes that cardamom can be used in preparing. So if you buy the cardamom for to make this rote, and you like spices like nutmeg and cinnamon, then you will not regret it. I love Indian food, and a lot of Indian dishes include cardamom. I had a tea-less Chai frozen yogurt at Yogurtland yesterday that was delicious, it had cardamom. Here is a list of recipes from allrecipes.com that use cardamom. And here is a recipe for tea-less Chai.
Rote Recipe and Why You Should Use Cardamom
- 1 package dry yeast or a little less than 1 T
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp - baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oil
- poppy seeds
- Mix warm water and yeast (dough doesn't have to rise).
- Add wet and dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- The dough will look and feel like cookie dough.
- Grease your pan if your pan needs it.
- Press out dough onto pizza pan or cookie sheet. I used a baking stone.
- Scour dough with fork in perpendicular directions.
- Top with poppy seeds according to your preference.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 F.
- Allow it to cool, and cut it into squares to serve....at least that how we do it.
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com