Easy homemade hamburger buns that have no high fructose corn syrup and are much better than the store bought kind!
Before we found out about Jack’s fructose intolerance, I was kind of oblivious to how many food items contained fructose, and more specifically, high fructose corn syrup. I knew that a lot of jams and juices did, but beyond that, I had no idea. Then, I had to become like a hawk when it comes to reading food labels, and I’ve been blown away. Especially when I discovered that so many kinds of bread have it!
Last week, we were going to a barbeque at my brother and sister-in-law’s house, and my mom asked me to get some hamburger buns. Well, I searched high and low, and could not find a single brand that didn’t have high fructose corn syrup. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands, and make my own.
Honestly, I don’t know if I can ever go back to store bought hamburger buns. These buns were so tasty and could easily be eaten just as rolls! I loved the combination of white and wheat, though you can change what type of flour you use depending on your personal preference. I also added in minced and sauteed onions, which I thought was a nice touch, but can easily be omitted as well.
In the end, I was glad that I was “forced” to make my own hamburger buns. Jack’s food intolerance makes us all a little more healthy. And really, isn’t homemade anything usually better, anyways?
Easy Homemade Hamburger Buns
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup and 2 Tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 cup diced red onion optional
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or other oil (optional)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups All Purpose or Bread White Flour
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups Wheat Flour King Arthur brand preferable
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- Sesame Seeds
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com