Easy and cheesy green chile chicken enchiladas. Easy to freeze, and absolutely delicious.
Whenever I have to choose my favorite meal, I immediately say chicken enchiladas. But not just any chicken enchiladas. I’m not a huge fan of the ones in flour tortillas and that are made with a cream sauce. I’m talking about the delicious, green chili ones that my mom has made my entire life. I request them every time I go home to Colorado, and make them quite often in our house.
Easy Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
- 16 corn tortillas
- 2 cans of chicken or equivalent amount of grilled chicken strips
- 1 1/2 cans green chili enchilada sauce
- 1 bag of shredded cheese colby jack mixture is my favorite
- 8 oz cream cheese - softened optional
- Oil for frying
- Lemon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degree. In a small frying pan, heat oil. When it is hot enough, fry the tortillas and set on paper towel to drain grease. In another pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil. Put chicken in pan and sprinkle lemon pepper on top. Cook for about five minutes, breaking up the chicken with a spatula. If you want to use cream cheese, mix in at this point.
- Pour a small amount of green chili sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. In another dish, pour the remaining green chili from that can onto a plate (one that the sauce won't spill over the edges.) Put one tortilla in the sauce and coat both sides. Put about 1 1/2 tbsp of chicken across the middle of the tortilla, and sprinkle cheese. Close edges and place in pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Pour about 1/2 can of enchilada sauce on top and cover with cheese.
- Cover with tin foil and cook for 15 minutes. Uncover after 15 minutes and baked for another 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted.
These can easily be frozen, and are great for those days when you just need a quick and easy meal!