I always loved Pasta Roni growing up, but I never make it anymore because I realized just how bad it was. Even knowing how unhealthy it is, I sometimes think about how yummy it would be to make a big batch of it. So, I decided to create a healthier version, and let me tell you, it is most definitely better than any Pasta Roni I’ve ever had. I made it recently for my family, and my mom insisted that I make it a few times since.What makes it so much healthier is that it’s made with spaghetti squash. If you’ve never had spaghetti squash, I highly recommend it. It’s a great alternative to regular pasta, is so much healthier, and honestly, I can’t hardly tell the difference. It’s so tasty, and I think I will start using it is a low carb/gluten free option in other pasta dishes from now on!In this recipe, I cooked the spaghetti squash in the microwave, and described that method. However, if you’d rather cook it in the oven, by all means, go right ahead!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 3/4 cup reduced fat Kraft Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup butter or butter substitute, such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, and remove seeds. In a microwave safe dish, place one half of the spaghetti squash. Pour 1/2 cup water into the center of the squash. Place the other half of the squash on top of it, and cover with plastic wrap. Cook in microwave for about 8-10 minutes.*
- After squash is cooked, let it sit for a few minutes, as it will be very hot. Then, use a fork to remove all the "spaghetti". Place in a large bowl. Put butter, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in the same bowl, and mix until the butter is melted. Add more cheese or seasonings to reach desired flavor. Serve warm.
* If you use use a smaller squash, adjust accordingly