When my sister, Cindy, and her family were visiting a few weeks ago, I was able to spend a little one-on-one time with my three-year-old niece, Lyla, while Cindy and my mom ran to the post office. Lyla has quite the sweet tooth (like everyone else in our family!) so naturally, we decided to make some treats together. When I asked her what she wanted to make, she said:
“Chocolate chip cookies! . . . With Bananas!”
And whatever Lyla says goes when she’s with me (yes, I’m quite the pushover at times when it comes to my nieces and nephews), and, let’s be honest…who could say no to a face like this?
Anyways, on we went, and our delicious banana chocolate chip cookies were created!
I have to say, cooking is SO much more fun with kids. They get so, so excited about every step. And, you are totally their hero for letting them help. Two of my other nieces, Alexis and Tori, always say they like to cook with me, because my first rule of cooking is eat as you go (as opposed to my mom’s — clean-up as you go!) Even Jack absolutely loves helping me cook and bake. Whenever I start to get out cooking supplies, he immediately grabs a chair and drags it over to where our cooking station is. No son of mine will leave our home not knowing how to cook!
Anyways, for these cookies, I just took the base chocolate chip cookie recipe that my mom makes (which is AMAZING, by the way. I’ll share it on another day) and modified it ever-so-slightly to make it a little healthier, and then threw in some bananas. The result? Super soft, yummy cookies, with a slight hint of banana to them. To be honest, they reminded me of Chips Ahoy (not the crunchy ones, but the chewy ones) and I couldn’t get enough of them.
So if you are ever in a rut, and need some inspiration for a new recipe, I’d recommend including a little one; they come up with the best ideas!
Also, one of my favorite cookie making tools is a cookie scoop — seriously, it is worth the investment. I really like this OXO Good Grips Medium Cookie Scoop (affiliate link)!
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large banana
- 1 package semi-sweet chocolate chpis
- Preheat to 345 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cream the first five ingredients with a hand or stand mixer. Add in the flour salt, baking and baking soda, banana, and mix again. Finally, add in the entire bag of chocolate chips.
- Using a one tablespoon measuring spoon (or cookie scoop around the same size), place cookies on a greased cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 11 minutes, and cool on paper towels.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 3126 Total Fat: 143g Saturated Fat: 88g Cholesterol: 366mg Sodium: 4851mg Carbohydrates: 425g Sugar: 233g Protein: 45g
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com