Have you ever heard that you should never skip breakfast?
Well, if you haven’t, you’re about to.
You should never skip breakfast. It is worth getting up an extra 10 minutes early in the morning to make sure you get something substantial to eat.
And when I say something substantial, I don’t mean empty calories like super sugary cereal or just a cup of hot chocolate or coffee. That doesn’t cut it.
You need something that is slow to digest, isn’t full of sugar, and will keep you full until lunch time. I find that whenever I eat cereal in the morning, I’m hungry about an hour later. If you are hungry an hour after you eat breakfast, you aren’t eating the right things. You should aim for breakfast to be one of your higher calorie meals during the day.
If you struggle to eat breakfast in the morning, here are six reasons to never skip breakfast to hopefully motivate you. After that, I’ll share some yummy and easy quick breakfast ideas to get you started.
- Boosts metabolism – it’s important to get a metabolism boost in the morning to ensure your body burns calories
- Keeps blood sugar stable
- Helps you to maintain a healthier weight – people who skip breakfast are more likely to indulge in higher-calorie meals and snacks later on in the day.
- Lowers Cholesterol
- Lowers Risk of Serious Health Problems – illnesses such as Type II Diabetes and Cardiovascular disease tend to occur more frequently in people who regularly skip breakfast
- Helps you Focus – there are current studies that show that people who skip breakfast have a more difficult time working hard until lunchtime, and children are unable to complete as much school work before lunch time. It is also linked to having a poorer memory!
Quick Breakfast Ideas
Start your day with a big glass of ice cold water. Research shows this can jump start your metabolism. My general rule is that I don’t drink my calories, so unless you are making a healthy smoothie, skip the juice!
- Greek Yogurt with Granola
- Oatmeal made with almond milk, cranberries, chia seeds, and pecans. Sprinkling of cinnamon and brown sugar for flavor. I also put flax seed in mine as well.
- Yoplait Plenti Yogurt – Have you heard of this yet? It’s genius and combines my two favorite breakfast foods – Greek yogurt and Oatmeal. It’s filling and fast, and it comes in a variety of flavors. The apple cinnamon was my favorite. You can grab a coupon for 35 cents off one package here. Yogurt coupons can be pretty valuable (especially when combined with an in store special!)
- Green Smoothie – lots of recipes on Pinterest. Pretty typical ingredients are almond milk, spinach or kale, banana, peanut butter, oranges, strawberries, and other vegetables.
- Toast with fried egg (made in coconut oil) and mashed avocado on top. You could skip the egg even and just spread the avocado on top, topped with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Paleo Breakfast casserole – we get rave reviews on this recipe, and some readers have told me that they enjoy making up the whole casserole, cutting it in slices, and freezing the slices. Pop them in the microwave in the morning for a quick breakfast.
- Breakfast quinoa – make with milk of choice, fruit, and a touch of chocolate. Similar to oatmeal. (this dark chocolate breakfast quinoa bowl looks delicious.)
- Apple slices with piece of whole wheat toast and almond butter
- Overnight oats (these white chocolate raspberry overnight oats are calling my name!)
- Egg White Delight from McDonalds – if you need to grab breakfast while you are out, this isn’t a bad option. Or, make your own McMuffin! Use whole wheat English muffins!
- Whole wheat tortilla with Canadian bacon, slice of cheese, and salsa
- Breakfast cookies
- Egg and Veggie Muffins
- Egg white omelet
- French toast made with whole wheat bread, almond milk, and fried in coconut oil. Serve with fresh fruit or fruit syrup
- Grits Muffins
- Cottage cheese and grapes and bagel
- Oatmeal Squares
- Scrambled egg with veggies such as red and green peppers, onions, and spinach or kale. Grilled of fresh!
- Overnight Chia seed pudding with fresh fruit on the side
- Fruit and yogurt parfait – add pomegranate seeds for added texture
- Breakfast burrito (our healthy breakfast burritos and southwest breakfast burritos are yummy and easily freezable!)
- Apple Cinnamon Quinoa bites