I can’t believe that I’ve been sharing recipes for over a year, and I haven’t shared one of my all-time favorite casseroles — pizza casserole. It’s such a simple, yet delicious, meal, and I would have it every week if I could! It’s perfect for taking to parties, and easy to customize to your favorite flavors. It’s similar to my pizetti recipe, but I much prefer this one. I don’t know what it is, but I absolutely love it!
So today, I’m finally sharing this delicious, sausage and pepperoni pizza casserole recipe with all of you. And not only am I sharing the recipe for the oven version, but for a crock pot pizza casserole as well!
I’ll start with the oven version (because that’s my favorite!)
It’s very simple to throw together, and it has some great flavor. I always like using bow tie pasta or penne, but that’s up to you. I would recommend using a small pasta like one of those, rather than something like linguine or spaghetti noodles. I always like using a spaghetti sauce that has lots of vegetables in it, such as Ragu. I’ve recently really been loving the kind from Victoria Trading Company — I have found they have a lot less sugar than other companies!
I’ve seen some pizza casserole recipes that have ham in them…but I don’t like ham, so this one just has sausage and pepperoni (and some other yummy ingredients, like mushrooms, onions, and peppers…though those are optional.) This casserole can easily be frozen (I would just cover it when you freeze it, and then take it out about 12-24 hours before you want to cook it and put in the fridge) and is perfect for pot lucks and parties!
And as simple as the pizza casserole above is, this slow cooker version might just be even simpler! There is a little bit of prep (cooking the sausage, and the noodles) but beyond that, just throw it in the crock pot, and it will be done before you know it (and, as always, I highly recommend buying a slow cooker that has a timer, that automatically changes it to warm after it’s done. Makes slow cooker cooking even easier!)
- 2 cups al dente penne or bow tie pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 20 pepperonis
- 24 ounces marinara or spaghetti sauce (any variety)
- ¼ cup onions (optional)
- ½ cup green and red peppers (mixed) (optional)
- 1½ cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup mushrooms (optional)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- Cook sausage, drain grease, set aside.
- Place all ingredients into slow cooker. Cook on low for 2-3 hours, or until heated through
- *alternatively, you can leave the pepperonis out of the mixture, and place them on top for the last hour of cooking for more of a "pizza" look
And in case you’ve missed this recipe, these easy garlic knots go perfectly with this meal!