I can’t believe that I’ve been sharing recipes for over a year, and I haven’t shared one of my all-time favorite casseroles — pizza casserole. It’s such a simple, yet delicious, meal, and I would have it every week if I could! It’s perfect for taking to parties, and easy to customize to your favorite flavors. It’s similar to my pizetti recipe, but I much prefer this one. I don’t know what it is, but I absolutely love it!
So today, I’m finally sharing this delicious, sausage and pepperoni pizza casserole recipe with all of you. And not only am I sharing the recipe for the oven version, but for a crock pot pizza casserole as well!
I’ll start with the oven version (because that’s my favorite!)
It’s very simple to throw together, and it has some great flavor. I always like using bow tie pasta or penne, but that’s up to you. I would recommend using a small pasta like one of those, rather than something like linguine or spaghetti noodles. I always like using a spaghetti sauce that has lots of vegetables in it, such as Ragu. I’ve recently really been loving the kind from Victoria Trading Company — I have found they have a lot less sugar than other companies!
I’ve seen some pizza casserole recipes that have ham in them…but I don’t like ham, so this one just has sausage and pepperoni (and some other yummy ingredients, like mushrooms, onions, and peppers…though those are optional.) This casserole can easily be frozen (I would just cover it when you freeze it, and then take it out about 12-24 hours before you want to cook it and put in the fridge) and is perfect for pot lucks and parties!
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 Jar spaghetti sauce
- 20 pepperonis
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green or red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups penne
- 1 cup mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until done.
- Cook sausage in large pan, drain of excess grease, and put back in pan.
- Add spaghetti sauce, oregano, basil, garlic, onion, and peppers to the pan as well. Mix well and set to simmer.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese on the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Place a layer of noodles, then layer sauce on top of that. Place about 1/2 cup of mozzarella on top of that. Repeat.
- On top of the final layer of cheese, place a layer of pepperonis.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- baket at 350 for 20-25 minutes
And as simple as the pizza casserole above is, this slow cooker version might just be even simpler! There is a little bit of prep (cooking the sausage, and the noodles) but beyond that, just throw it in the crock pot, and it will be done before you know it (and, as always, I highly recommend buying a slow cooker that has a timer, that automatically changes it to warm after it’s done. Makes slow cooker cooking even easier!)
- 2 cups al dente penne or bow tie pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 20 pepperonis
- 24 ounces marinara or spaghetti sauce, any variety
- 1/4 cup onions, optional
- 1/2 cup green and red peppers, mixed (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, optional
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- Cook sausage, drain grease, set aside.
- Place all ingredients into slow cooker. Cook on low for 2-3 hours, or until heated through
- *alternatively, you can leave the pepperonis out of the mixture, and place them on top for the last hour of cooking for more of a "pizza" look
And in case you’ve missed this recipe, these easy garlic knots go perfectly with this meal!
All we ask is that you be kind. We welcome differing opinions, but any comments containing personal attacks, sarcasm, etc. will be removed immediately. Keyboard warriors aren’t welcome 🙂 All comments are moderated and may take time to be approved. Anything not pertaining specifically to the content of a post will be removed (including comments about ads).