I always love combining together different foods (such as my pizza casserole — great combination of pizza and pasta!) A few weeks ago, when Forrest and I were brainstorming some recipes for Bacon Month, we thought it might be fun to combine all of our favorite breakfast foods into one delicious bite.
And then, the loaded waffles were born.
Admittedly, I was a little nervous to try these loaded waffles. Sweet and savory typically aren’t my favorite flavor profiles to put together. However, it somehow worked. I loved it.
We tried it two different ways — topped with salsa and then topped with pure maple syrup. Forrest liked the salsa the best — he felt like it made it seem like less of a sweet & savory dessert. However, I really did like the maple syrup on top the best. All my favorite foods really were in one delicious bite!
Trust me on this one — you definitely want to try this recipe out! I think it’s one of Jack’s favorite things I’ve made recently.
- Belgian Waffle Mix
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cheddar cheese
- Prepare a Belgian Waffle Mix according to instructions. We did the one that was for 4-5 waffles, though it made more like 8.
- Scramble the eggs with cheese, a shake of basil, a shake of pepper, and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. Mix in crumbled bacon.
- Stir the egg mixture with the prepared Belgian Waffle Mix. Cook in waffle iron.
- Enjoy with syrup or salsa.