This is the best baked french toast casserole – it has delicious fall flavors of caramel, apple, and cinnamon, and it’s super fast to throw together.
Baked French Toast Recipe
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.
I always feel like I can breathe a sigh of relief once fall officially begins.
Because for whatever reason, it just isn’t “socially acceptable” to love all things pumpkin, spiced, and apple until then!
Now, don’t get me wrong. I enjoy fall flavors all year long. But I don’t share those treats with others – or share recipes here on the blog – until fall has officially started.
I also love that we (and when I say we, I mean Forrest) are starting to harvest lots of delicious fruits and vegetables from our garden. If only you could see just how many tomatoes we have!
We love being able to use fresh produce in our home for different recipes, and we also love canning it. We’ve made fresh peach jam, apple butter, salsa, stewed tomatoes, canned peaches, and spaghetti sauce so far. It’s wonderful to see the fruits of your labors (pun intended).
Although we don’t have any dietary restrictions in our house, we have been trying to eat healthier. I also try to avoid large amounts of dairy, because they often hurt my stomach. So I’m a big fan of Silk dairy-alternatives.
I’ve really loved all their protein-packed options lately, such as their chocolate milk. My boys LOVE it, and they are getting an extra pack of protein. I’ve been using it with my protein shakes in the morning, and it’s a great addition.
I love that I can easily substitute Silk dairy alternative products into some of my favorite recipes. I’ve tried many different brands of almondmilk, and the only one I always go back to is Silk. It has ingredients I can trust (like no carrageenan, which I avoid because it affects my stomach).
Not only do I love their almondmilk (and chocolate almond milk), but I love their other nut milks – such as coconut and cashew. I always feel like those are so creamy, and they are the perfect substitute for something like half and half.
And even though I’m not a coffee drinker, I love using coffee creamer in different recipes. So when I saw that Silk had their own brand of coffee cream (in caramel, no less), I couldn’t wait to try it.
I was asked to make a fall-centric recipe that was dairy free and incorporated fresh fruits and/or vegetables, and I thought that a baked french toast (with chunks of real fruit) would be a great idea.
My absolute FAVORITE fall flavor combination is caramel apple – with a little bit of cinnamon, of course. So I thought that would be the perfect flavor for my baked French toast. I could easily chop up some apples to put into the baked french toast, and I knew that those – combined with the caramel creamer and cashew milk, would be perfect.
It took a little bit of trial and error to get the temperature and cooking time right, but in the end, it turned out perfect. IF you are wanting more of a bread pudding texture, cook for the lower end of the times. However, if you’d like it to be a little more crispy, cook it for a little bit longer. That’s what we preferred.
I also had to include this photo, because it definitely shows what real life looks like at our house! If you look closely, you can see a little tear going down Oliver’s face (and his eyes look pretty sad). He was sad because I hadn’t gotten him chocolate milk when he came outside. Jack was freezing and wanted to go inside, so instead of his normal happy smile, he looks a little annoyed. Oh well!
Anyways, this is easily one of my favorite recipes I’ve ever made! It was SO good, and I just kept going back for more and more. It doesn’t need anything extra on top, as it’s pretty sweet to begin with, but you could add syrup or whipped cream if you really wanted to.
I think my favorite part was definitely the real apple chunks. I thought about using canned apple pie filling, but honestly, it was so much better just use the fresh apples and avoiding the extra sugar that comes with canned apple pie.
This is a delicious breakfast that will be perfect for cold fall and winter mornings. It’s best if you place it in the fridge overnight before cooking, though you could just put it in for a few hours if you are short on time.
And if you want to get some of the great Silk products I mentioned above, make sure you download the Target app and grab the 10-15% off offer on participating Silk & SO Delicious products from 10/14 to 11/11. This can be applied to Silk half gallons and yogurts from both Silk and SO Delicious.
Baked French Toast Casserole
Caramel Apple Baked French Toast
- A loaf of french bread I used whole wheat, and I ended up only using half of it
- Two apples sliced and diced
- 3 Tablespoons butter or dairy free butter substitute melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup Silk Caramel Coffee Creamer or favorite brand
- 2 cups Silk cashewmilk or cow's milk if you don't need to be dairy free
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 eggs or egg substitute
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter or 1/2 cup dairy free butter substitute cold and cut into 1 tablespoon pieces
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Spray a 9x13 glass pan with cooking spray.
- Tear French bread into large, bite-sized chunks and put into the glass baking dish until it's about one inch from the top.
- Mix in diced apples.
- Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter, and toss with the apples and French bread chunks until cover.
- Cover with tin foil and place in the fridge for a few hours - or, preferably, overnight.
- After taking out of the fridge, in a separate bowl, whisk together the coffee creamer, cashew milk, eggs, and vanilla until combined.
- Pour over the French bread and apple mixture.
- In another bowl, use a pastry blender (or two forks if you don't have one) two blend the butter, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon until crumbly.
- Scatter across the top.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until it seems crispy on top.
- Let sit about 5-10 minutes before serving.
Other Breakfasts You May Enjoy:
- Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal Recipe
- Easy Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Egg and Sausage Breakfast Crescent Roll Sandwich
Check out our most loved products and services in the Clark household! All of these are loved and used on a regular basis.
- For the Baker – Bosch Mixer
- For the Crafter –WorkBox 3.0
- Favorite Travel Agent – Get Away Today (use clarkscondensed for $10 off any 2 day or more package)
- Best Way to Workout – Aaptiv (30-day free trial)
- For the Reader – Scribd (60-day free trial)
- Pregnant? – Online Prenatal Class (use CLARKS for 10% off)
- Hot or cold at night? – BedJet
- Need more sleep with a newborn? – Owlet Refurb
- Shop through Target
- Shop through Amazon
- Shop through Cricut.com
- Shop through Walmart.com
- Shop through Kohls.com