Do you want to know what one of my favorite parts of campfires are? The s’mores, of course! But boy, are they messy, especially when children are involved. Or someone who, despite all their efforts, is a messy eater (Guilty, that’s me.)
In fact, I pretty much just let them go to down, pouring ingredients in, and mixing them up. I told them what o do, took their suggestions, and we had a lot of fun doing it. I think kids make cooking even more fun, and I can’t wait until Jack is old enough to help! The first batch of cupcakes…well…they tasted delicious. But because I didn’t grease the pan very well, I had a really hard time getting them out. Just to keep things real, here’s a picture of that first batch.
- Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 cup marshmallow cream
- 8 honey graham cracker squares (or 4 full sheets)
- 4 Hershey’s chocolate bars
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 Hershey’s Chocolate bar, broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Place graham crackers in bag and crush until only small pieces and crumbs remain. Set aside. Alternatively, you could use 1 to 1 1/2 cups of pre-crushed graham cracker crumbs.
- In a large bowl, mix together vanilla cake mix, 1/2 cup oil, and 3 eggs, stirring until smooth. Mix in marshmallow cream and graham crackers.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake wrappers. Fill each half way with the batter, and then add two pieces of the chocolate bar into each one. Add enough batter to cover the chocolate. Place in oven for 16-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- To decorate, spread chocolate marshmallow frosting (see below) on top of cooled cupcake, and then stick one chocolate piece in the center and sprinkle as many marshmallows as desired on top.
- Put marshmallows and chocolate bar in a bowl. Place in microwave, and heat in 30-second microwaves, mixing in between until totally melted. Spread on cooled cupcakes.
Cupcakes not your favorite? Be sure to check out this S’mores Bread Pudding…one taste, and you won’t want to put your spoon down!