Guess what!? It’s Jack’s birthday week. He turns two on Wednesday, and in honor of my perfect, sweet little boy, I will be posting birthday themed posts throughout the week!
I still stand by my statement that this is the world’s best chocolate cake recipe. Because, well, it is. And it’s perfect for birthdays (though, not Jack’s. Too much milk in it for him!)
And this recipe is also the world’s best chocolate cake recipe…because it’s the same one. However, I changed up the frosting, and added some delicious raspberry to it, so, I thought I’d share these fun and very indulgent modifications with all of you. And this has also been modified to be used as a layer cake, rather than in a 9×13 pan.
Oh, and I figured out the secret to making this cake perfect. Even though it always tasted delicious when I made it in Colorado, it always sunk a little in the middle. However, it turned out perfectly here in Utah, which is where my great-grandmother perfected it. So, basically, you have to live in Utah for this recipe to be perfect. Sorry for all of you non-Utah living people 😉
I’m actually not a huge fan of cream cheese frosting (I know, crazy me), which is what I typically have been making the chocolate cake with. However, when Forrest’s sister requested a chocolate cake for her birthday, I decided to come up with a chocolate frosting recipe…and you guys, I am going to be using this frosting from now on. It is SO good.
I seriously just wanted to eat it by the spoonfuls (I didn’t though, rest assured.) Combined with the yummy raspberry filling that I put with the cake, and the obviously delicious cake, it was almost too much to handle. Almost being the key word.
This cake is very light and moist when you take it out of the pan, so handle with care. I was going to cut each layer in half, so I could add more raspberry filling, but I was really worried it was going to break the cake…so be aware of that if you are more daring than me!
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75 from Kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab Beignets from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini from Ruffles & Truffles
- Creole Shrimp Po Boy Recipe from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Supper for a Steal
- Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice from Cookin’ Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po’Boy from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffaletta from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cajun Rice and Beans from Momma’s Meals
- Creole Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls from The Dinner-Mom
- New Orleans Fried Chicken from Family Foodie
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Saffron Baked Beignets from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Polish Paczki from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Buttermilk Beignets from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frostingfrom Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mardi Gras Long Johns from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets from Mess Makes Food
- Ravioli dolci di Carnevale from Manu’s Menu
- Strawberry Paczki from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- “Skinny Tuesday” Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets from Daily Dish Recipes
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Latest posts by Katie (see all)
- What DIY Projects Can I Make with My Cricut? 50+ Creative Ideas - January 16, 2017
- The Ultimate Guide to Character Dining at Disneyland - January 10, 2017
- Easy Breakfast Enchiladas - January 2, 2017